Saturday, April 27, 2013

Acer Predator G3 Upgraded

You can never get enough power. I got this Acer a year ago, and for my first actual gaming PC, it was a rocket ship until newer, more demanding games hit the shelves. I was able to run Bad Company 2 on medium with some minor lag, and BioShock Infinite on Low just barely. I was pushing my old NVidia GT630 to its limits, and it was not happy about it. So I did what all sensible people do and replace it.



I stripped this rig of it's 500 Watt power supply, its Acer stock CPU Fan, and of course the GT630, and went to Amazon and placed a few orders. A KingWin 850 Watt Modular PSU, an Arctic Freezer 13 CPU Fan plus some Arctic Silver 5, and the final component; an EVGA GTX660 Superclocked. I basically turned an already powerful PC into a monster. Its actually uncommon for gamers to buy all stock gaming PCs  and upgrade them. Most just buy a case and add parts as they go. You get more potential that way but I was on a budget and I had my eyes set on an Aurora ALX on eBay at the time but lost that offer, and later found out how lacking Alienware was now than before. So for 1000 bucks, I picked this up, turned out to be worth it for sure. Now it runs Infinite and BFBC2 on Ultra flawlessly.

Stock Specs
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
GPU: NVidia GT630
PSU: LITE-ON 500 Watt
RAM: 16 GB
HDD: 2 TB(2000 GB)
CPU: Intel i7
CPU Fan: Acer Stock Fan

Upgraded Specs
GPU: EVGA/NVidia GTX660 Superclocked 2GB
PSU: KingWin Mach 1 850 Watt Modular PSU
CPU Fan: Arctic Freezer 13+ Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Pictures







2 comments:

  1. I have Acer predator too, i bought new psu and gpu gtx 970, but my mobo on predator have 12 pin, but the psu have 24 pin connector, i bought 24 to 12 pin connector from china, and it doesnt work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this odd for a minute because my PSU has the connector that can split between 12 and 24 pin. Might just be your PSU model. But a word of advice, I've learned to never buy ANYTHING from China, either because it's counterfeit or the quality is shit, or both. I would look for a good quality adapter elsewhere, I've found shelling out the extra cash for quality parts is well worth it compared to buying and waiting forever for import garbage that probably won't work anyways.

      Delete