Sunday, July 30, 2017

SuperMAXX 4B (Modified Nerf SuperMAXX 5000)

Well, time for a blaster mod and it wasn't really anything I had planned, just plain bad luck brought me to this point. Anyways I mentioned in my SuperTech 9000 review that it had some airtank problems; the stopper would not line up because the plastic pin that keeps it centered broke. So I went on the hunt for a SuperMAXX 5000 since they shared the same internals. Luckily I found one and one bid snipe later it was mine. So after a quick sacrifice to save the ST9k from being a paperweight, I was left with an empty SM5k shell; absolutely useless, but I had an idea. I had an extra Spy Gear Signal Launcher and after digging up some ingenuity, I built this, and it's extra painful.


What a mess.
This right here is what I like to call the SuperMAXX Buzz Bee Big Blast, or SM4B for short. Essentially I took the air tank from the Signal Launcher(which is the same as a 4B), carved out some space inside of the SM5k shell to make it fit then spent blood, sweat, and tears to link everything together. This all took me about one day and it shows; everything is heavily hotglued in place and it surprised me nonetheless that I actually got it work.
Pump draw is extended using a piece of brass.
Now I ran into quite a massive space issue when doing this build. While I managed to seat the 4B tank perfectly, it left so little room for the pump, air hose, and trigger that I had relocate the entire pump about half an inch back so it didn't kink the shit out of my hose. Nonetheless, it still did but it at least works. This also required me to increase the length of the pump rod so I ran to ACE and picked up a length of brass that fit perfectly over the stock rod. I adhered them together and drilled out a new hole for it to mount on the handle. This made the pump very solid and it looks the business when extended. I left the OPRV intact because I don't really think plugging it is necessary for such a high volume tank.
Linking the trigger was a real piece of work. I had to chop down the stock trigger for it to clear the narrow gaps created by the 4B tank. Now it was a matter of linking the thing to the firing pin on the tank. I had no means of fabricating an extension from the trigger to the firing pin, plus I fairly confident anything I made would just break under the force required to pull this thing under full pressure. Somehow I managed to rig up a mechanism using a slightly shaved down piece of the Signal Launcher's trigger, and it worked!
Click, click, boom.
Well unfortunately the feel was so garbage that one could easily be inclined to pull it way too hard due to how spongy it was. So I glued a microswitch in behind the trigger to add a much needed tactile click. The new mechanism only uses less than a quarter of the stock SM5k's draw length so it's considerably more of a hair trigger than it was on the stock blaster.  
So I originally wanted to brass breach this thing like I did on my other SM5k but I ultimately decided against it. Reason being is that I don't plan on keeping this blaster anyways so I just mounted a coupler on the stock barrel noob style and called it day. It leaves it open to interpretation for the next owner so if they want to, they can ditch this dead space creating garbage and put a barrel setup of their choice in. Leaves the shell as a clean slate too.
That being said, the somewhat half-assed barrel setup aside, this thing shoots fucking lasers. Ten pumps and it slams Elite Darts into the wall across my living room in the blink of an eye. I don't have any range figures yet but I'd imagine it would easily break 100 feet and get better accuracy with some weighted darts. One thing is for sure, this thing would definitely be banned in a fair number of wars due to the fact it's basically a singled Big Blast chucked inside of the shell of another blaster also commonly banned for being frighteningly powerful. It's like the worst sleeper build on the planet. I'm going to continue messing with it and making it's internals a little more robust but on the whole, I'm pretty glad how this turned out for one day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment