Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Nerf Zombiestrike Slingfire Review (7/10)

The difference between me and the Rapid Fire Rifle? I don't suck.
When the Slingfire was revealed I instantly knew I had to get one. Something about lever actions totally draws me to them. Maybe it's the fact you can do all those fancy tricks involving the lever? I don't know I just went ahead I got two the only way I could at the moment. Let's just say I am far from disappointed. See why after the jump.

Size compared to a Sledgefire, they are roughly the same.
The Slingfire is Nerf's very first lever action blaster and it went under a long series of prototypes up until this point. The final blaster feels comfortable in your hands and the stock is a good size. I do wish they retained the longer barrel so you had something to grip onto other than the receiver but it's not too big of a deal. The lever is smooth and it allows you to prime the blaster quite fast. Swinging it downwards to prime it requires quite bit of force and spin cocking it is impossible due to the fact this does not have a large loop lever, yet trick shots are still possible. The lever also feels notably flimsy in some spots, especially compared to the metal one on the Rapid Fire Rifle, not to mention it's linked to the gearbox so using heavier load springs could really mess things up. It is however strong enough to withstand normal punishment well enough so I'm not too worried. I will also note the clip release is a little awkward feeling paired with the lever action. I got used to it but it just feels a bit off to some.
Stock is easily removed by one long screw.
The blaster gets decent performance hitting about 55 feet. I'm estimating about the average Elite ranges with fairly good accuracy up front which is funny considering they dropped the longer barrel but down range, the Slingfire gets rather inconsistent with accuracy and range. Once you get the hang of priming this thing you can really shell out punishment quite fast. I find it to be a bit quicker than slide primes but nowhere near as fast as pump action. So what do the internals look like?
Internals are similar to a Retaliator but seems beefier. The gearbox was expected.
The internals of this thing aren't much different than your average direct plunger clip system other than that it's linked to a gearbox that grants the blaster it's lever action. The plunger however does seem a bit bigger than the kind found in Retaliators and Rampages. The spring feels fine but I wouldn't advise changing it out due to the gearbox. I'd imagine most mods not involving the spring should work in this fine.
Closeup with the gearbox cover removed, not too bad.
Compared to the Thunderbow or Centurion, this rack and pinion gearbox is fairly simple as it's only purpose is to make the lever action as smooth and easy as possible. I still wouldn't trust it with higher load springs.


Overall the Slingfire is a fun blaster. It's lever action works very smoothly and it has decently good power for a stock blaster. However it's somewhat awkward ergonomics, inconstancy at longer distances, and lack of major mod potential really limit this blaster. With a bit of practice this can be a lethal weapon on the battlefield and if you happen to have two, well you're one dangerous son of a bitch now aren't you? But the problem is that it's too impractical to use over a slide prime or a pump action so it basically defeats to purpose of even trying to seriously use one in a war. I give the Slingfire an 7 out of 10 for being an all around fun blaster but it's more of a novelty item. It's good for showing off but not too much for substance.

The Verdict
Class- Lever Action Repeater
Range- Good, about 55 feet.
Size- Roughly the exact same size as a Sledgefire.
Reliability- No major issues, potential jams as common on clip systems.
Ammo- 6 Elite Darts
Modding- Some potential, try to stay away from springs due to the gearbox.
Value- At $25, the Slingfire a good valued blaster, although it's more conventional cousins may be better suited for wars.

Is It Better Than?


Rapid Fire Rifle- Yes, are you kidding? While the RFR was cool, the Slingfire overshadows it in every aspect in terms of power, versatility, and above all the fact it doesn't use shells. Looks like someone lost this gunfight.


Retaliator- Depends, the Retaliator is a very versatile blaster and although the Slingfire can operate faster with a little practice, this rifle has more potential for mods as it doe's not have a gearbox. So what will it be? Tactical or apocalyptic?


Rampage- No, the Rampage has 25 shot capacity by default and you can fire it like a bat out of hell without any experience with the blaster. plus it still has greater mod potential because of the lack of gearbox.

6 comments:

  1. I must have one. Is It Better Than... so Retaliator- Depends,Rampage- No. What about the EAT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not either since the EAT and the Rampage are so similar in terms or function and performance.

      Delete
  2. I feel like you forgot to mention the annoying mag release design which makes little sense compared to the usual stryfe style mag release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give it to you for that, after enough time screwing around with it I did begin to find the release was in a real inconvenient spot. I could care less though, it's more of a novelty blaster in my eyes than it is for practicality, unlike a EAT or a Rampage.

      Delete
  3. Hey, I've lost the screw that holds the stock in. Would you mind telling me the dimensions of the screw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I remembered. Haven't pulled the Slingfire out in a while considering it's buried under about 30 other blasters. I'd imagine the people on reddit would know, if all else fails you can probably get away with gluing it if you don't plan on reopening the gun.

      Delete